Montgomery gas leak leaves hundreds without heat
Some 750 homes in Orange County are without heat this New Year's Eve after a massive gas leak in Montgomery yesterday afternoon, officials say.
Representatives from Central Hudson Gas and Electric say a contractor was excavating in the area of Neelytown Road off Route 208 when a natural gas line was hit. Nearby roads were closed, homes were evacuated and service to hundreds of customers was shut off.
Officials say restoring service may take some time as each customer's line has to be turned on individually.
A warming shelter has been set up at Berea Elementary School on Route 17-K in Montgomery. Fire officials are urging those who try to stay warm at home to be careful if they use electrical space heaters.
Hundreds of OC homes, businesses without heat after gas leakCentral Hudson Gas and Electric Corporation