Montgomery gas leak leaves hundreds without heat

Some 750 homes in Orange County are without heat this New Year's Eve after a massive gas leak in Montgomery yesterday afternoon, officials say.

Representatives from Central Hudson Gas and Electric say a contractor was excavating in the area of Neelytown Road off Route 208 when a natural gas line was hit. Nearby roads were closed, homes were evacuated and service to hundreds of customers was shut off.

Officials say restoring service may take some time as each customer's line has to be turned on individually.

A warming shelter has been set up at Berea Elementary School on Route 17-K in Montgomery. Fire officials are urging those who try to stay warm at home to be careful if they use electrical space heaters.

Hundreds of OC homes, businesses without heat after gas leakCentral Hudson Gas and Electric Corporation

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."