Gas leak shuts down Harrison Avenue Elementary School
Students at a local elementary school had to be evacuated not long after the school day began this morning.
Fire, police and Con Edison crews were alerted after a gas leak was discovered about 9:20 a.m. at the Harrison Avenue Elementary School. "It was a small leak behind the fence where the main comes in. Very minor," says Harrison Assistant Fire Chief John Masciola.
Still, emergency crews were not taking any chance and all the children, about 475 from grades kindergarten through five, were evacuated to designated areas outside the school.
After about 15-20 minutes they were let back inside the building. Con Edison crews say the leak has been fixed and the area is safe.