Fire destroys multi-family home in New Rochelle

Four New Rochelle families are homeless this morning after a fire destroyed their homes overnight.

Fire officials say they received a call around 2:30 a.m. about a fire in the basement of a multi-family home on Dewitt Place. Officials say all residents of the home were outside when they arrived, and no one was hurt.

Investigators say the fire started in a faulty oil burner in the basement.

Approximately 30 firefighters took about two hours to get the flames under control. Officials say the fire was difficult to put out because it got into the walls of the structure. Firefighters had to take down walls, ceilings and parts of the exterior.

The Red Cross is helping the fire victims. They say most went to stay with family or friends.

One firefighter suffered a minor back injury. He was taken to the hospital and is expected to be fine.

Investigators say the fire started in a faulty oil burner in the basement.

One firefighter suffered a minor back injury. He was taken to the hospital and is expected to be fine.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."