2 families left homeless after Verplanck fire

A pair of Verplanck families have been left homeless after a fire ripped through their apartment building last night. Investigators say the blaze broke out shortly after 9 p.m. on the second floor of 157 7th St. They say a blanket or another article of clothing might have been resting on a space heater when it caught fire. Resident Linda Mugai escaped from her apartment with only minor burns, but says she lost her most valuable possessions. "My boyfriend just died a month ago, and I lost all his ashes, everything," Mugai says. She says she is staying with a friend for the time being. The fire has been ruled accidental.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."