Elderly couple flees burning Cortlandt Manor home

An elderly couple is safe and sound this morning after an early morning fire broke out at their Cortlandt Manor home.

Firefighters responded to a call just before 3:30 a.m. to 15 Lake Road. John Halfman, 69, and his wife Patricia, 77, were sleeping when fire ripped through their attached greenhouse and quickly spread to their home.

When they firefighters arrived, the Halfmans were safely outside, but the house was engulfed in flames. Officials say smoke detectors went off after the couple realized their house was on fire.

While the official cause has not been announced, investigators say they are focusing on the greenhouse?s electrical system.

The Halfmans say they will stay with their son who lives nearby until repairs can be completed.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."