16 Italian Mastiffs killed in Elmsford shed fire
Sixteen dogs were killed in a shed fire this morning in Elmsford.
Firefighters responded to the fire at the home of Ross Taylor, 46, at North Lawrence Avenue around 7 a.m. today. They arrived to find a 20' x 20' wooden shed fully engulfed in flames. The shed was located near the firehouse on the corner of North High Street and Payne Road.
Police say the dogs were described as Italian Bull Mastiff, Cane Corso breed. Eight of the dogs were between 5 months and 7 years old, and the remaining were pups.
Fire officials say there was a number of heat lamps and space heaters in the shed to keep the dogs warm, and they believe one of them caused the fire.