Carbon monoxide death sparks warning on generators

The deadly case of carbon monoxide poisoning that killed a Chestnut Ridge man is sparking a warning across the Hudson Valley.

Employees at a Home Depot in Yonkers say hundreds of generators were sold after the freak nor'easter that hit the region last weekend. But the generators can prove hazardous if not used correctly.

"If you do have your generator in your garage, you will have to have an open window, you need ventilation," says Home Depot Assistant Store Manager Matt Mattiace.

Workers at the Home Depot suggest people place generators under an awning outside. If it's in a shed or garage, a window must be left open.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."