Mom, 7 kids escape Mount Vernon house fire

A Mount Vernon mother and her seven children escaped their house unharmed after a fire broke out early this morning.

The mother says the fire broke out around 5:30 a.m. at their home on Second Avenue and Sanford Boulevard.

She tells News 12 she smelled burning plastic and woke up her seven kids to get them all out of the house.

The fire tore through the basement and first floor leaving them temporarily homeless.

Two firefighters were injured fighting the fire. Fire officials tell us a space heater is the apparent cause of the fire.

sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."