Young boy rescued from live wires dies from injuries
The aftermath of Hurricane Irene has claimed another victim in the Hudson Valley.
Six-year-old Reuven Herbst, who was rescued by a Good Samaritan after coming into contact with live wires during the hurricane, has died from his injuries. The incident happened near Merrick Drive and Union Road close to the child's home in Spring Valley.
Herbst was taken to Westchester Medical Center in Valhalla after the incident, where he was placed in the pediatric burn unit. His family kept vigil there ever since.
A neighbor and family friend, 50-year-old David Reichenberg, was electrocuted while trying to save the boy.
Orange and Rockland Utilities Inc. came under criticism for its response to the downed wire and is said to have failed to make a timely repair even after village police told the company about the wire.
Officials probe electrocution of man trying to save young boyPolice: Man killed trying to save child in Spring Valley