Townhouses catch fire in Monroe

? At least one person had to be rushed to the hospital while fire crews tried to contain the smoke and flames that engulfed a set of townhouses in Monroe this morning.

Neighbors on Fitzgerald Court called 911 around 10 a.m. They say after they heard screaming and came outside to thick smoke, they broke down the door to rescue the family inside.

There is no official word on how the blaze started but at least one person says they heard popping coming from the backyard.

The entire row of town homes has been evacuated and it?s been upgraded to a four-alarm fire.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."