Underground transformer fire leads to evacuation in Harrison

Firefighters responded to a fire today after an underground transformer caught fire in Harrison.

Officials say the transformer caught fire around 12:30 p.m. under the building at 550 Mamaroneck Ave. and forced hundreds of employees to evacuate.

Con Ed says the building was fed by three electrical lines and the fire burned out two of them. They say the fire may have been caused by the intense heat outside.

Fire officials say no one was injured in the blaze and that employees should be able to return tomorrow.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."