Scarsdale residents, business owners concerned after manhole fire

Power has been restored to affected homes and buildings along Garth Road in Scarsdale after an underground fire, but many residents and business owners are now asking why it happened and if it could happen again.

Underground Con Edison cables caught fire yesterday afternoon, setting off a massive manhole fire that forced firefighters to evacuate the area.

Residents say they haven't heard any information from Con Edison about what could have caused the fire and that they're worried it could happen again.

Con Edison has not yet returned phone calls from News 12 Westchester.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."