Owner cited following fire at multi-family home in Yonkers
The owner of a multi-family Yonkers home has been cited by the Buildings Department after a fire broke out last night in what officials say appears to be an illegal basement apartment.
Larry Hayes, who lives at 142 Vineyard Ave., says that he smelled smoke around 11:30 last night and discovered that his bathroom wall was covered in flames.
Three children are among the 14 people now homeless because of the fire. All of the affected residents are being provided assistance from the Red Cross.
The Yonkers fire commissioner says that an electrical malfunction is what ultimately caused the blaze.