Firefighters: Extension cord sparked fatal Yorktown fire

Firefighters say that it appears an overheated extension cord is to blame for a fire that killed an elderly woman in Yorktown last night.

Investigators say that smoke was reported at 2965 Mead St. at around 7 p.m., and that crews had a difficult time just getting into the home because there was so much clutter blocking the entrances.

Neighbors have identified the victim of the fire as Nancy Lockhard, 72, who they say had been living in the home by herself since her husband's death two years ago. They added that they were aware of the clutter in Lockhard's home, and that it only makes news of her death that much more tragic.

Firefighters tried to resuscitate Lockhard, but were unsuccessful. Lockhard is being remembered by her neighbors and local firefighters as a kind and sweet woman who will be missed by many.

Fire officials say there were no smoke detectors in the home.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."