Contractor hits gas line, WC building evacuated
The quick actions of a Pleasantville superintendent were applauded after a contractor struck a gas main yesterday, forcing an entire apartment complex to evacuate.
Investigators say a contractor was using a Sawzall saw to take down a wall at the Ledgerock Gardens apartment along Bedford Road when he somehow struck a gas line.
The contractor was able to contact the building's superintendent quickly, who then shut off the gas to the rest of the building. Everyone inside was forced to leave the building as Con Edison and fire crews worked to ensure the building was safe for re-entry.
All of the affected tenants were allowed back inside their apartments after a short wait and gas was restored to the building.