Toxic fumes close Hallan School in New Rochelle

Toxic fumes closed a school for kids with special needs in New Rochelle today. School officials say fumes from a recently installed heating unit set

NEW ROCHELLE - Toxic fumes closed a school for kids with special needs in New Rochelle today.

School officials say fumes from a recently installed heating unit set off alarms at the Hallen School on Centre Avenue.

High levels of carbon monoxide in the building caused officials to dismiss the students as a precaution. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, but toxic, gas that can kill if undetected. "It was giving off some low levels of CO. We had companies respond and take levels with our gas meters. It turned out we had some elevated readings in the gym. So what we did was ventilate, and call Con Edison," says fire Capt. Donald Bradley. Bradley says levels dropped quickly at the school after ventilation.

No injuries have been reported.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: Mount Vernon woman sentenced in daughter's killing 1 VIDEO: Mount Vernon woman sentenced in daughter's killing
Deasia Bartee admitted to repeatedly hitting 14-month-old daughter 2 Mount Vernon woman gets 19 years for killing her baby
Police say the crash happened at the intersection 3 4 injured in 10 car pileup in Monsey
Here is the latest weather forecast in your 4 Westchester Weather Forecast
5 Word on the Street: Reserved mall parking

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE