Toxic fumes close Hallan School in New Rochelle

Toxic fumes closed a school for kids with special needs in New Rochelle today. School officials say fumes from a recently installed heating unit set

Fumes from a new heating unit closed down the Hallen School for kids with special needs in New Rochelle.

Fumes from a new heating unit closed down the Hallen School for kids with special needs in New Rochelle. (3/26/14)

NEW ROCHELLE - Toxic fumes closed a school for kids with special needs in New Rochelle today.

School officials say fumes from a recently installed heating unit set off alarms at the Hallen School on Centre Avenue.

High levels of carbon monoxide in the building caused officials to dismiss the students as a precaution. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, but toxic, gas that can kill if undetected. "It was giving off some low levels of CO. We had companies respond and take levels with our gas meters. It turned out we had some elevated readings in the gym. So what we did was ventilate, and call Con Edison," says fire Capt. Donald Bradley. Bradley says levels dropped quickly at the school after ventilation.

No injuries have been reported.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Rescuers say that woman collapsed in the 1 Firefighters rescue one person from flames in Monroe
VIDEO: Chopper 12 over Tappan Zee Bridge construction 2 VIDEO: Chopper 12 over Tappan Zee Bridge construction
The police have joined family members and friends 3 Search expands for missing teen with autism
Rue la Rue cafe celebrate the popular TV 4 "Golden Girls" themed café opens in NYC
Firefighters were back at a Mount Kisco yeshiva 5 Firefighters battle flare-ups from Friday's Mt. Kisco fire

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE