TUXEDO - Students at a Tuxedo school were evacuated Friday morning after a partial ceiling collapse.
Authorities say it happened at around 8:30 a.m. Four students and three staff members at George F. Baker High School saw the ceiling start to buckle and escaped safely from the classroom within moments of the ceiling collapse.
The school's principal says 550 students were quickly evacuated from the high school and adjoining middle school, and water was shut off to both buildings. All classes and after-school activities were canceled for the day.
Police say that even though the ceiling material that fell was from the 1930s, the materials are not an asbestos or lead hazard.