Space heater blamed in Sparkill fire that destroyed two buildings

Dozens of people are without a home and three businesses are destroyed after a fire tore through two buildings in Sparkill. Firefighters say an electric

The fire badly damaged a number of businesses including the Roost Restaurant in Sparkill.

The fire badly damaged a number of businesses including the Roost Restaurant in Sparkill. (1/27/14)

SPARKILL - Dozens of people are without a home and three businesses are destroyed after a fire tore through two buildings in Sparkill.

Firefighters say an electric space heater sparked the fire Sunday night on Main Street. Sparkill Fire Chief Mike Yannazzone says the fire moved quickly at a heavy volume between the two buildings. 

No one was injured in the fire, but 27 people who lived in the six apartments above the storefronts lost their homes. A restaurant, a deli and a nail salon also sustained heavy damage.

The Orangetown fire inspector says they're looking at the possibility of an illegal apartment in one of the buildings and violations will likely be issued.

For extended coverage of the fire, watch the clip to the left or click News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612. 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Knowing what your insurance considers 1 Tips to help you reduce your health care costs
VIDEO: Arrest made in fatal shooting of Mount 2 VIDEO: Arrest made in fatal shooting of Mount Vernon teen
Police say gang violence in Mount Vernon is 3 Police: Gang violence to blame for 13-year-old’s death
Students at Graham Elementary School are back in 4 Students return after fatal shooting of classmate
Kristina's Korner tracks the 5 Trending: "A-Rod TV" and "2018 Mustang"

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE