Space heater blamed in Sparkill fire that destroyed two buildings

SPARKILL - Dozens of people are without a home and three businesses are destroyed after a fire tore through two buildings in Sparkill.

Firefighters say an electric space heater sparked the fire Sunday night on Main Street. Sparkill Fire Chief Mike Yannazzone says the fire moved quickly at a heavy volume between the two buildings. 

No one was injured in the fire, but 27 people who lived in the six apartments above the storefronts lost their homes. A restaurant, a deli and a nail salon also sustained heavy damage.

The Orangetown fire inspector says they're looking at the possibility of an illegal apartment in one of the buildings and violations will likely be issued.

For extended coverage of the fire, watch the clip to the left or click News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612. 

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Larchmont is reportedly blocking the development of a 1 Larchmont reportedly blocks drive-thru Dunkin' Donuts
Flames broke out at the one-story home at 2 Fire destroys Gordon Avenue home in Briarcliff Manor
Sea Cliff's Troy Ramey was voted off 'The 3 Elisa's Entertainment for 4/26
An Amtrak power problem in one of the 4 More headaches for LIRR riders after Amtrak power problem
Trump's keynote address last night at the Republican 5 Melania Trump's speech shrouded in controversy over plagiarism

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE