NEW ROCHELLE - A man had to jump from a second-floor apartment to escape an overnight fire in New Rochelle.

Officials say the fire ignited at around 12:30 a.m. Monday in a two-family home at 23 Bayard St.

The man wasn't seriously hurt. People living in two other apartments also got out safely.

It took about 22 firefighters an hour to get the fire under control. Firefighters were able to contain the damage to just the apartment on the second floor.

Prior to jumping, the man tried to put out the flames of a grease fire with water in the kitchen. Officials stress that it's important to have a working fire extinguisher in the kitchen.