Fire destroys Walker Street building in Walden; leaves 12 people homeless
WALDEN - A dozen people are homeless after a raging fire ripped through a mixed-use building in Walden.
Fire officials say it started at around 11 p.m. Thursday after a young child accidentally hit a candle off of a table. They say there was heavy smoke coming out of the building when they arrived.
Keith Sulley says he ran outside and tried to help his neighbors, and then went and got his animals out. He says he's glad his three children weren't home when the fire started because their room took the brunt of the water damage.
Read More: Westchester Top Stories
It took about 70 firefighters an hour and a half to get the blaze under control as frigid temperatures made for some tough conditions.
The Walker Street building has four apartments and two businesses. In addition to the displaced people, seven dogs and five cats were left homeless by the fire.
The Red Cross is assisting the families affected.