MOUNT VERNON - A fire ripped through a Mount Vernon home last night, displacing two residents.

Firefighters say they received a 911 call just before 6 p.m. about a house fire at the corner of Adams Street and Union Avenue. Despite a lack of manpower due to budget issues, fire crews managed to extinguish the fire, which had spread from the second floor up into the attic.

Neighbors say the woman who lives in the house, who's known as Mama Page, had another woman staying with her from another country. Both women made it out of the house safely.

The cause of the fire has yet to be determined.