Fire damages Mt. Kisco home

Firefighters say the family managed to evacuate and no one was hurt.

Firefighters say the family managed to evacuate and no one was hurt. (1/12/13)

MOUNT KISCO - A massive fire damaged a Mount Kisco home last night, and left a family homeless.
 
Chief Tom Jackson from the Mount Kisco Fire Department says it took around 60 firefighters to put out the fire at around 10 p.m. last night. Jackson says the fire department had to bring tankers in because there are no fire hydrants near the Nitra Road house.
 
The family was able to evacuate safely and call 911 after they smelled something burning. Authorities say no one was hurt.
 
Officials say the cause of the fire was due to an overheated extension cord.
 
Firefighters say they've had to fight several fires in the area in the past, and one building even burned to the ground. They say fires in the area spread quickly and can cause a lot of damage because there are simply no fire hydrants nearby.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

The Brentwood Union Free School District held a 1 Brentwood holds community forum in wake of teen killings
VIDEO: News conference on Howell animal hoarding 2 VIDEO: News conference on Howell animal hoarding
The Crusaders have six wins in seven games. 3 Team of the Week: Archbishop Stepinac
4 VIDEO: Yonkers police arrest suspect in fatal movie theater stabbing
Police say vehicles were ransacked and four were 5 Unlocked cars ransacked, stolen in White Plains

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE