Fire closes Mount Vernon city hall

An underground fire caused Mount Vernon city hall to be evacuated today. City officials shut down the building around 7:30 a.m. after smoke was detected

An underground fire caused elevated carbon monoxide levels throughout the building this morning.

An underground fire caused elevated carbon monoxide levels throughout the building this morning. (1/6/14)

MOUNT VERNON - An underground fire caused Mount Vernon city hall to be evacuated today.

City officials shut down the building around 7:30 a.m. after smoke was detected in the basement. There were very few people inside at the time of closure.

Further inspection uncovered that wires in an underground transformer were smoldering, causing elevated carbon monoxide levels throughout the building.

Investigators say it appears that recent bad weather may have contributed to sparking the fire. "From what I'm told, because of the salt, it's gotten down and damaged the wires," says Mayor Ernie Davis.

The fire was quickly extinguished and power was being rerouted through other lines. However, officials can't reopen the building until carbon monoxide levels return to normal.

There have been no injuries reported

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

Police say an employee was stabbed inside the 1 Police: Worker stabbed inside White Plains Stop and Shop
A beloved North Rockland cheerleading coach who was 2 Hundreds gather to mourn loss of beloved North Rockland cheer coach
Con Edison workers say both a new utility 3 Car crashes into utility pole in Mount Kisco
VIDEO: Ossining chase leads to crash, manhunt for 4 VIDEO: Ossining chase leads to crash, manhunt for suspect
Chopper 12 was over a tractor-trailer accident on 5 Chopper 12 over Newburgh-Beacon Bridge accident

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Kristina Cartwright heads to a fun and different Where Are We On Wednesdays?

Kristina Cartwright heads to a fun and different location in the Hudson Valley!

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE