Fire closes Mount Vernon city hall

An underground fire caused Mount Vernon city hall to be evacuated today. City officials shut down the building around 7:30 a.m. after smoke was detected

MOUNT VERNON - An underground fire caused Mount Vernon city hall to be evacuated today.

City officials shut down the building around 7:30 a.m. after smoke was detected in the basement. There were very few people inside at the time of closure.

Further inspection uncovered that wires in an underground transformer were smoldering, causing elevated carbon monoxide levels throughout the building.

Investigators say it appears that recent bad weather may have contributed to sparking the fire. "From what I'm told, because of the salt, it's gotten down and damaged the wires," says Mayor Ernie Davis.

The fire was quickly extinguished and power was being rerouted through other lines. However, officials can't reopen the building until carbon monoxide levels return to normal.

There have been no injuries reported

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

VIDEO: Lawsuit filed against Town of Clarkstown PD 1 VIDEO: Lawsuit filed against Town of Clarkstown PD alleging racial profiling
An ongoing construction project at LaGuardia Airport is 2 Charter execs: LaGuardia work sending more travelers to Westchester
Holistic techniques and specially adapted equipment are used 3 Nassau BOCES Carmen Road School offers sensory treatment class
VIDEO: Gov. Cuomo announces safe LI drinking water 4 VIDEO: Cuomo announces safe LI drinking water initiative
Kristina's Korner tracks the 5 Trending: 'Fresh Prince' reboot and Lynard Skynard

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Features

Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.

LOGIN SUBSCRIBE