Fire breaks out at million-dollar home on Smith Ridge Road in South Salem

The blaze broke out on Smith Ridge Road in South Salem at around 6:30 p.m. at a $1 million home that was broken up into several apartments. (6/20/14)

SOUTH SALEM - Flames destroyed a northern Westchester home Thursday evening.

The blaze broke out on Smith Ridge Road in South Salem at around 6:30 p.m. at a $1 million home.

Fire departments from northern Westchester and nearby Connecticut responded. Many local streets were closed off to traffic to allow firefighters to respond.

Read More:  Westchester Top Stories

There were no hydrants in the area, making it tough for firefighters who had to haul in tanks. The chief of the Vista Fire Department says their main priority was stopping the flames from spreading to the house next door, which was broken up into several apartments.

The couple inside the home and the four families from the neighboring home were able to escape without injury. The Red Cross is assisting the displaced families with finding housing.

Residents say the couple who lost their home is staying with family in Connecticut.

Officials say the blaze started with a sump pump in the basement that had electrical problems, and spread to nearby combustibles.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12