Faulty pipe cause of deadly CO leak on Long island

A carbon monoxide leak killed the manager of a Legal Sea Foods restaurant. (2/24/14)

Related media

Photos

HUNTINGTON STATION - There is a call for change today after the deadly carbon monoxide leak at Legal Sea Foods at a mall on Long Island.

The CEO of the restaurant chain says he'll make carbon monoxide detectors mandatory in all 32 of his restaurants.

Fire officials say a faulty flue pipe leading from a water heater caused a buildup of carbon monoxide in the basement of the popular restaurant Saturday.  

Read More:  Westchester Top Stories

Investigators say levels of the invisible odorless gas were so high it could cause a person to lose consciousness within minutes.  That was apparently the case for the restaurant's general manager Steve Nelson. 

According to Legal Sea Foods Executive Roger Berkowitz, the 55-year-old Copiague man was found dead in a locked bathroom.

Fire officials say the premises passed inspection last year and was due for another next month.

According to officials, while the defective heating equipment would have been discovered during an inspection, he was quick to point out that there were also no carbon monoxide detectors in the restaurant.  

advertisement | advertise on News 12

advertisement | advertise on News 12