Eastchester man John Verrier dies in waiting room at St. Barnabas Hospital in the Bronx

Jon Verrier reportedly went to the hospital to be treated for a rash.

Jon Verrier reportedly went to the hospital to be treated for a rash. (1/27/14)

EASTCHESTER - An Eastchester man died in the waiting room of a Bronx hospital after waiting eight hours to be treated, a wait time other patients say is expected at the hospital.

John Verrier, 30, went to St. Barnabas Hospital Saturday night to be treated for a rash. Eight hours later, he was found dead, slumped over in a chair in the emergency room's waiting area. 

The hospital says his name was called over the PA system three times, but he never responded.

A hospital spokesperson says security checked on him and other patients at 2:40 a.m. and found him responsive. Four hours later, he was found unresponsive. Following an internal review, the hospital concluded all guidelines were met. 

Patients say the long wait is normal. Bronx resident Shirley Fwilo says her daughter had to wait 12 hours before a doctor could see her for a CAT scan. A hospital employee who didn't want to appear on camera says the ER is overcrowded and shortstaffed.

A cause of death for Verrier is still pending.

advertisement | advertise on News 12

Trending Video

A massive fire destroyed a home at 48 1 Fire destroys Gordon Avenue home in Briarcliff Manor
2 Westchester/Hudson Valley Sportscast, April 24
Suffolk Police say a Wantagh man inappropriately touched 3 Police: Camp counselor arrested for sexually abusing minors
News 12 Long Island's Doug Geed takes a 4 Tasty Tuesday: Fresh spring ingredients
The Westchester County Board of Legislators postponed a 5 Westchester legislators postpone synthetic pot vote

advertisement | advertise on News 12


Sorry to interrupt...

Your first 5 are free

Access to News12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service Electric℠ video customers.

Please enjoy 5 complimentary views to articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.