MIDDLETOWN - A Middletown day care center and strip mall were evacuated as a precaution to avoid potentially dangerous fumes from a warehouse fire this morning.
Parents were called to the Children's Corner Learning Center to pick up their children after a fire broke out at the GenPak plant on Republic Plaza.
Multiple fire departments and hazmat crews battled the fire, which began in a concrete storage room filled with huge rolls of plastic. That plastic, used to make food packaging, is toxic when it burns.
It took firefighters about two hours to bring the blaze under control.
Two firefighters were hurt and taken to the hospital. Neither of the firefighters’ injuries were considered life-threatening.
For extended Chopper 12 video over the warehouse fire, watch the clip to the left or go to News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612.