SLOATSBURG - A boil water advisory has been issued for areas including Sloatsburg and Tuxedo after a water main broke Thursday evening in Rockland County.
The Rockland County Health Department is urging residents to boil water for drinking, cooking, baking and to even wash dishes. Harmful bacteria in the water can cause serious problems if ingested.
The water main break has been repaired, but the county will be testing samples of the water for the next three to five days to make sure it is safe before the advisory is lifted.
Residents and businesses in the area say the advisory has caused chaos, but they plan to make the best of their Fourth of July holiday weekend.
The Health Department recommends residents to immediately seek medical attention if they drank water and are feeling sick.