MOUNT VERNON - A man was killed and two others were hospitalized as a result of a raging fire in Mount Vernon Wednesday night.
Flames ignited just before 8 p.m. at a multi-family home on South First Avenue. Of the eight people living in the building, two men and one woman were inside at the time of the fire. Officials say Frank Goldwire, 51, died on the way to Mount Vernon Hospital.
Dierdra Biersay, 47, the building owner’s wife, and Medford Hamilton, affectionately known as "Cowboy," were also taken to Mount Vernon Hospital.
Relatives of Goldwire are heartbroken. "My uncle is dead. My grandma is in the hospital," says Tajay Biersay. "He didn't deserve this."
Fire marshals think the blaze was started by an overloaded power strip on the first floor. They add that there was also a pile of dirty clothes nearby.
Neighbors tell News 12 the house became fully engulfed within minutes. "I looked out the window, I saw the flames and the fire, so I called 911. By the time I came downstairs, the whole house was up in flames," says neighbor Joanne Oates.
It took nearly three hours for firefighters to get the flames under control.
For more on the fatal Mt. Vernon fire, watch the clip to the left or click News 12 Extra on Optimum TV channel 612.